The Professional Developer's Checklist
Published on by Kiley Dorton
Use the following checklist before, during, and at the end of working on a feature.
- Work is well-defined
- High level user story
- Gerkin-style behaviors for acceptance criteria
- Assumptions listed. Unknowns requiring research listed.
- Wireframes, process or data flow diagrams, sequence diagrams, architecture
- Plan is written
- List of features, files, infra involved
- Pseudocode for new/changed behavior
- Work broken down into ordered, deployable, commit-friendly tasks
- Work block, pair program, focused
- Checkout a working branch
- Test written first, fails
- Make test pass
- Repeat until ready to commit, code must be deployable
- Commit with a good commit message (
- Merge into main branch for CI/CD
- Communicate work completed
- 1-sentence headline
- Details in 1-3 paragraphs. 3-5 words in bold. Why, So What, What’s Next.